Friday, January 14, 2011

Sick and Tired

I pride myself on being a healthy gal. I read health books and blogs with great appetite. I enjoy moderate exercise and yoga. I get decent sleep. I am healthy. So, when I needed to have outpatient surgery suddenly, my body and mind were completely unprepared and unhappy. I have a theory that going to a hospital makes you feel (physically and psychologically) sicker. Walking in to a hospital sends the system into an automatic immunosuppressed state. The nursing staff was great, and the nurse who took my vitals said, "It doesn't get any better than that." Yeh, me!

I didn't want to test my hospital theory, but nature had a different idea. I had the outpatient procedure in early January. It went fine, other than being delayed by a few hours, causing me to sit in a gown with an IV under hospital-grade blankets watching bad tv for longer than was comfortable. Two days later, I felt a scratchy throat and got the sniffles. I marched to the kitchen (a whole two steps away from the living room) and promptly ingested Vitamin C and Zinc, used the Netti pot, and sipped herbal tea, thinking I would nip it in the bud. Wrong. The next day I was stuffy, achy, and sneezy. Due to all of our belongings being in storage, I didn't have access to my usual arsenal of herbs and remedies. So, when I couldn't breathe out of my left nostril, I caved and got drugs from Target. After two days of no improvement, I called the pharmacist and asked what else I could take. She recommended the stronger version of the OTC meds I was taking (the ones that I couldn't buy before because the pharmacy wasn't open and due to too many deliquents getting high, you have to request it from the pharmacist along with your license, blood sample, and first-born child). So, I trekked back to the pharmacy and got the high-test drugs and noticed a bit of an improvement. I could breathe out of my nose but still could not sleep. Now, 8 days later, I am a little less stuffy but still can't sleep and now I have no voice. Really? Is this the usual course and duration that the average, slightly unhealthy immunosuppresed person endures?
Signed: Sick and Tired of being Sick and Tired

No comments:

Post a Comment