Monday, May 6, 2013

I have become one of them

Mr. Man turned one last month. He has grown and changed so much over the past 12 months, and I have grown and changed along with him. My values shifted instantaneously without conscious effort. I have learned more about life and myself from my now 22 pound ball of curiosity than I had ever thought possible. So much of what I thought I would and wouldn't do as a mom flew out the window once the baby arrived. Is it all rainbows and unicorns...certainly not. Do we still struggle with sleep and naps...yes indeed. However, along this nap-devoid, messy adventure, I've made some simple but meaningful realizations.
I never understood why parents have no time for house cleaning, eyebrow waxing, showering (when he was a breast-feeding infant), or magazine reading...I get it now.
I never understood the satisfaction of reading a 15-word book 12 times in 6 minutes...I get it now.
I never understood the joy of watching a bright-eyed tot bang on pots and pans...I get it now.
I never understood why mothers had Cheerios spilling out from every bag and jeans/jacket/stroller pocket available....I get it now. In fact, I have become one of them---a card carrying member of the Cheerios toting mom's club.

No comments:

Post a Comment